MOSTI SOCIAL INNOVATION FUND
I X PLASTIC
A GREEN CAMPAIGN IN COLLABORATION
WITH YAYASAN INNOVASI MALAYSIA
28 MAY 2016
The Pan-Pacific and Southeast Asia Women’s Association was founded in 1928, in Honolulu, Hawaii and is the only international women’s organization devoted to families, peace and understanding in the Pacific and Southeast Asia. PPSEAWA comprises twenty three national member organizations, many having several local chapters. PPSEAWA Malaysia was founded in 1960.
The Association is represented at the United Nations in New York and Geneva, and at ESCAP, UNICEF, and UNESCO. Continued monitoring of and participation in these United Nations bodies enables PPSEAWA to inform its members and help them identify areas where they can be of assistance by mobilizing local support.
PPSEAWA has been active in:
Identifying needs and problems of women and children at risk.
- Protecting the status of women and children against domestic violence and war.
- Furthering education, skills training, and literacy programs for all age groups
- Raising funds and mobilizing local help
- Working to protect and improve the environment.
- Furthering the success of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Since its inception, PPSEAWA has held international membership meetings every three years almost without interruption.
International Conference Themes serve the purpose of strengthening the bonds of friendships and reinforcing members’ commitments to peace, by attending lectures, workshops, and cultural programmes relating to women and family issues and in support of UN activities.
The 26th PPSEAWA International Conference 2016, will be held in Kuala Lumpur from 22nd – 29th August, 2016. The topic will be on “Respect the Environment for a Sustainable and Peaceful Future”. The International Conference is preceded by a three-day Pre-Conference program that will cater for the benefit of the youth, local governments and NGOs.
In conjunction to this international conference PPSEAWA Malaysia wants to play our part in helping to spread the awareness to all Malaysians. We are very aware that groups of people are getting together to work on small projects towards a better ENVIRONMENT. We want to reach to all these groups to team up together to create a big impact, so that our target to get Malaysia to a Developed Nation Status by 2020 is achievable.
Hence for the collaboration with Yayasan Innovasi Malaysia (YIM) we have put our focus on one source of pollution – PLASTIC. The PLASTIC pollution is everywhere. The devastating damages to the entire world are documented by many agencies all over the world. It is an issue that needs to be seriously addressed.
Under the MOSTI Social Innovation Fund both YIM and PPSEAWA will collaborate on tending to this issue by concentrating mainly on Putrajaya. As the centre of Malaysia’s Administration, Putrajaya has to be given the first attention in mindset change on the use of plastic and the management of plastic waste. “I X Plastic” campaign is an innovation of mindset change that will focus on creating change agents among the people of Putrajaya, the civil servants serving in ministries and their agencies, in particular.
The objectives of this program are:
- Saving PUTRAJAYA from pollution.
- To create awareness among the residence of Putrajaya on the importance of keeping the offices, homes and their surroundings clean. To create an attitude that hates garbage that can pollute the environment.
- To train and stimulate an attitude that loves cleanliness, avoids littering and practices the separation of garbage/ waste according to the regulations.
- To make 3R a practice.
- To spark interest and individual initiatives within six (6) months towards the effort of producing Zero-Garbage City.
We call upon the public to support us in this mission. If this succeeds, it is a success of the people for choosing a better lifestyle.
PPSEAWA Contact Person:
Puan Nurul Mohd Noor
Tel: 03-2283 4268